Piers Adams is the recorder’s natural front-man, bringing his legendary energy, virtuosity and expressive power to the recorder’s magnificent concerto repertoire. From the baroque greats such as Vivaldi and Telemann to modern works such as the heroic Recorder Concerto by David Bedford (hailed in BBC Music Magazine as ‘beyond virtuosity into the realms of improbability’), Adams performs from memory with unparalleled mastery.
Piers Adams works with both modern and period-instrument orchestras, showcasing instruments from sopranino to bass, and featuring several innovative designs, such as the new Eagle Recorder, whose impressive strength of tone brings the recorder fully into line with today’s orchestral wind instruments.
See more examples of Piers Adams’ concerto performances on the Video page.
Recent and past collaborations have included
- BBC Symphony Orchestra / Martyn Brabbins
- BBC Concert Orchestra / Stuart Bedford
- Philharmonia Orchestra / Martyn Brabbins (Royal Festival Hall, London)
- Chamber Orchestra of Lapland / John Storgards
- Tromsoe Symphony Orchestra (Norway)
- Baroque Band (Chicago, USA)
- Salem Chamber Orchestra (Oregon, USA)
- Singapore Symphony Orchestra
- Irish Chamber Orchestra
- Academy of Ancient Music / Paul Goodwin
- English Sinfonia
- Orchestra of St John’s / John Lubbock
- City of London Sinfonietta
- Opus 20 String Ensemble / Scott Stromann
- London Musici / Mark Stephenson
- Guildhall String Ensemble
- City of Oxford Orchestra
Current concerto repertoire
Three Concertos for ‘Flautino’ (sopranino recorder), Treble Recorder Concerto in C minor, Flute Concertos ‘La Notte’, ‘La Tempesta di Mare’ and ‘Il Gardellino’, the Four Seasons (transcribed).
GEORGE PHILLIP TELEMANN
Recorder Concertos in C major and F major, Suite in A minor, Double Concertos in E minor (flute/recorder) and F major (bassoon/recorder)
Descant Recorder Concerto in F major
JOHANN SEBASTIAN BACH
Brandenburg Concertos nos. 2, 4 and 5
Divertimento for Recorder, Vibraphone and Strings
Music for the Common Man
Concerto in D minor
Double Concerto for Eagle Recorders